An Orange County Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice:
We’ve all seen those bumper stickers that say “Get off the phone and drive”, usually accompanied by someone in the driver’s seat, yelling at the four kids in the back while texting or gabbing away. BANG! The only thing louder than the irony is the sound of that person’s bumper slamming into the rear of your car.
What now? Here is a 5 step guide to recovering from a car accident, by an Orange County personal injury attorney.
1. Keep Emergency Items Handy. In your car, it is best to keep emergency items in your glove box such as a disposable camera, insurance policy, registration, first aid kit, a pen and a notepad.
2. Make Sure Everyone is Okay. If not, call 9-1-1. At this time, do not admit fault or apologize for the accident. It is best to let the authorities figure out fault.
3. Record all information. Write down all important information such as VIN numbers of all cars involved, phone numbers names and addresses of all parties involved, insurance policy and company name and numbers of all parties involved and possible witnesses and their contact information. When police arrive, it is best to record police officers names, badge numbers and claim numbers as well.
4. Make Sure You Are Safe! If possible, move your car out of the street if it is blocking cars, but only after photos have been taken of the original scene. Once cars are not in the road, make sure your hazard lights are flashing. If you cannot move your car off of the road, do not stay in the vehicle! Move yourself and loved ones to the side of the road, on the other side of a divider if possible.
5. Call Police. Make sure you fully cooperate with the authorities. After an accident, adrenaline tends to run high and make people react inappropriately. Make sure you think before you speak.
After an accident, the best way to protect yourself against unlawful litigation or continued negligence is to retain a personal injury attorney. Personal injury attorneys emphasize in their law practice helping people who has been injured due to another’s actions. They can determine if your injury warrants damage recovery from the other party and to what amount.
There are many reasons why it is best for you to obtain legal representation after an accident. Settlements offered by an insurance company representative of the person who caused the accident are designed to pay you as little as possible while avoiding any legal accountability. Personal injury lawyers make sure you are paid the full amount you are owed due to the negligence of the other party.